Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Martha" girl, trying to be more "Mary"



Mary and Martha Worship and Serve
Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”  And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”  Luke 10:38-42 

I have read this story many times in the bible, and I am always left at the end thinking .. hmm, that Martha, she sounds like my kind of gal!  I would feel the same way as she did if my sister was just loafing around while I was busy preparing the house and food for our company!  Or ... am I the only one who relates to Martha? :)

I have to admit that I am definitely the person who, while I absolutely LOVE to entertain, I am obsessed with everything being perfect.  I have to make sure that I put on the façade of my home always being in perfect order and in perfect cleanliness.  I stress out the kids telling them that everything they own has to be put away and out of sight (much like I’m trying to create some sort of illusion that we don’t have children living in our home!).  I make sure that tablecloths are perfect, flowers on the table, and a perfect buffet of food and drinks put out on the counter.  Part of this also includes making sure I have picked the perfect serving bowl or platter so that everything is displayed perfectly.

Some of my Sisters are thinking, and …. How is this bad?  ( LOL ) and for the most part I agree with that.  But what I notice sometimes is that I neglect to enjoy the company that is coming over because I’m so worked up over things being perfect.  I am so busy keeping busy, I sometimes neglect to sit down, relax and enjoy my company.  

What I think is really interesting about Jesus commenting on Martha’s insistence of Mary helping her, is that he is telling her that Mary has made the better choice.  It was interesting that Mary chose to sit and listen, which at the time was a posture of a disciple (who in the ancient world were men).  In Martha’s complaint, it almost seems like she is mad that Mary is breaking the rules for the traditional way of behaving!  But Jesus encouraged Mary to think and learn.  He allowed her the right to listen and to think about ideas, and develop her mind with His teachings.  Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Jesus was telling Martha that the acts of service are unimportant, I mean, he was the ultimate servant of all.  (For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. Mark 10:45)  But I think what he was saying is that learning his teachings was even more important.  Especially in light of the fact that the housework would always be there… He would not.


Nothing is wrong with being sensible if it doesn't interfere with the more important things in life.  Martha was worried about something that was important to her, but was it the most important thing?  Mary made a conscious decision between two alternatives: She chose listening to Jesus over preparation of a meal. This may sound strange to those who, like Martha, think meal preparation is an important part of entertaining hosts. Mary saw this situation differently. She chose to listen to the wisdom of Jesus, her Savior, while she had the opportunity.

People make choices. For Mary, Jesus' words were the most important needs of her life.  Martha needed the reminder that her greatest need were the words of eternal life.  God's Word will stand eternally. The spiritual understanding we get in this life will be ours forever. But we must not allow physical needs and duties to consume us.  Martha stayed busy providing her guests with things that, she thought, made their visit more enjoyable. She should be applauded for seeing to the important needs of others.  Instead, Jesus commended her sister Mary.  He praised Mary for choosing the good part, the holy words, truth and faith of Jesus Christ, which will never be taken from her.  We should try to follow Mary's example and desire God's truth above everything else.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matthew 6:33


No comments:

Post a Comment